Saturday, January 21, 2012

Slow Cooking: My lifesaver

Balsamic Chicken from the slow cooker

I have never procliamed to be a chef. Cooking is just not my thing. I don't care for the grocery store and I don't like to clean that much. However, in order to live I occassionally throw something together so we won't waste away to nothing. I'm pretty good at making food that's really bad for you so I try really hard to throw in a healthy meal every once in a while. But for me, that means chicken, chicken, and chicken. Then I get bored and we end up ordering out a bunch of pizza and  subs and un-do any good from the healthy meals. So, I'm learning to compromise by making MOSTLY healthier meals, and also incorporating some not so healthy meals so at least we stay away from ordering out so much.

Enter the slow cooker. This device allows me to make all kinds of things and not screw them up. The liquid keeps your proteins moist, and you really can't wreck anything. Therefore, I can make very healthy meals like Balsamic Chicken and great hearty meals like Beef Stroganoff. Today, I am venturing into a new world: I invented my own recipe. I'm going to call it Chicken Enchillada Salad. I'm not going to list the ingredients or anything because I might fuck it up and have to throw it all away rendering the recipe worthless, but I am excited to see how it turns out.

Today it's snowing and cold. My husband is working all day today and I know he will LOVE walking in the door tonight and smelling dinner in the slow cooker. Here's hoping it works out. If not, well, I've got wine to drown my dissapointment of a failed meal. Happy snow day!!!!

4 comments:

  1. So - how did it come out? We need a follow up on your Chicken Enchilada Salad. (I have to admit, however, I am wondering about "salad" and "slow cooker" being used in the same paragraph. ;)

    I love my slow cooker. I just wish I would remember to use it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much to update, I did a new post for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, this is a great recipe! I made it for Mick on Sunday and he said that I could make it every week and he would love it. So simple to make and delicious.

    ReplyDelete