Saturday, September 8, 2012

Why October is the Most Awesome Month Ever

October is an amazing month in the New England/ Mid-Atlantic region. You have beautiful warm sunny days and cool extra-blanket-on-the-bed nights. You could have rain OR snow. It's hurricane season in the Atlantic so you may get some remnants (or the unfortunate direct hit) that bring rain, wind, even the threat of a tornado. The leaves begin their change and descent to the earth, diving, floating, spiraling towards the ground to get raked up. The sun gets lower in the sky which blinds me on my drive home. It's a blazing ball of fire that makes me think "I hope no one is stopped in front of me because I will run into them"...but then the sun so low makes some amazing sunsets too.

A beautiful Northbridge, MA fall

Raking leaves sucks. That's why I don't do it.

October is the month I got married in. The weather was perfect that day: bright and sunny and warm. There was a hint of crisp fall in the air, but it was comforting as opposed to feeling ominous.I had butternut squash risotto during our reception that just screamed fall. Our wedding invites had little autumn branches on them. It was the perfect month to get married in.

Beautiful weather on our wedding day, October 9, 2010

Amazing fall seating charts compliments of my talented sister

October means less bees. By now, you must know my fear of bees and how it basically owns my life. In October, the bees are so sleepy that even if you see one, it's too lazy to do anything except sit there and relax. Then I  can squish it with a shoe and dance triumphantly in a small circle with slightly shaking hands (even killing them scares the shit out of me) and feel empowered.

Die, bee. I hate you.

October means the beginning of all things "spice". I buy everything I can get my hands on that makes me feel warm and spicy. Hermit cookies, gingersnaps, hot cider, even apple cinnamon air freshener sprays to cover up the stink of cat pee. The candles have spicy warm smells and come in the relaxing colors of autumn, like burnt sienna and umber.

Warm, comforting scents...

Hermit cookies. Get them now.

October means a change in wardrobe. The summer hues, capris and sandals get stashed in the back of the closet and out come the fuzzy sweaters and scarves. Everyday is perfect for jeans, whether it's with a t-shirt or a sweatshirt. I celebrate the day my little pumpkin earrings make their way back into the rotation.

Cute!!!

What do you like about October? Leave a comment. If you have another favorite month, feel free to share it in the comments below, but don't expect to change my mind.


4 comments:

  1. I love October because it is scary movie month. And fresh apple cider and caramel apples and toasted pumpkin seeds and dressing up for Halloween, even though I am now officially middle aged and supposedly too old to beg for candy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. October is Pomegranate season - my favorite food in the whole wide world. When you bump into me in the hall, demand inspection of my cuticles 'cause they will be stained red from all the pomegranate gorging. And I'm with you on the sleepy bees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this time of year! Hot apple cider, warm home baked bread, and beautiful colors. I also love that indescribable fall smell... a combination of wet leaves and a crispness to the air. It sucks that it is going to be 84 degrees tomorrow. Doesn't Mother Nature know that it's past Labor Day!!!! Damn her and her stupid global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love october cause it is the month i gave birth to my son.. 21st. plus a good friend of mine had her daughter on the same day! quite a few years later (my son is going to be 12 and her daughter is going to be 2). plus i like october cause that means one more month closer to my birthday (november) and thanksgiving! and it means one more month closer to spring!

    ReplyDelete